The NHS App is operated by NHS digital. Launched in December 2018, it is an established, organised & highly functional digital tool. You can download and use the NHS app to help you manage your health and interact with the NHS services you use. The app provides a one stop shop to NHS services on your smartphone.
The NHS app is constantly being improved and upgraded. Dr Vin Diwakar, medical director for transformation at NHS England has said: “Our vision is to transform the NHS App into a front door for the NHS, with many exciting new features and changes planned – delivering on the NHS Long Term Plan commitment to continue to harness the power of technology for patients and staff”
What does the NHS App allow you to do?
With full access you can:
- search trusted NHS information and advice on hundreds of conditions and treatments
- receive messages from your GP surgery in the NHS App
- view useful links your doctor or other health professional has shared with you
- order repeat prescriptions
- book and cancel GP and other healthcare appointments
- view your GP health record to see information like allergies and medicines prescribed
- book and manage coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccinations/ boosters
- get your NHS COVID Pass
- register your organ donation decisions
- view your NHS number
- use NHS 111 online or find NHS services near you
How to install the NHS App:
To use the NHS App you need a smartphone or tablet with a front facing camera, ID and an email address
You can download the NHS App for free on your smartphone or tablet from Play Store (Android) or App Store (Apple).
You use your camera to take a photo of your ID and take a selfie. You then enter your email address. A verification email is sent to the you and you will be asked to put a code contained in this email into the NHS app where prompted. A second email will confirm your photo has been verified.
NHS Digital only provide support for the NHS App on the following operating systems:
- For Android products from Samsung, Sony etc. -- Android version 8 (Oreo) and above
- For Apple products such as iPhone or iPad -- Apple iOS versions 11 and above
You can install and use the NHS App on older phone operating systems, but NHS digital cannot guarantee the best experience nor provide help with any technical issues. Older systems the app can be downloaded onto are Android versions 5, 6 or 7, or Apple iOS versions 9 or 10.
The file size for the app on Apple products is 104.3 MB, the file size for android products varies for each different phone manufacturer but is around the same size.
Download and Install the NHS App here:
NHS App and your NHS account - NHS (www.nhs.uk)